The Clayton-Liberty Township Public Library was founded in 1929 by the Clayton Chapter of the Delphian Society. The first library collection contained approximately 500 books, obtained through donations. The original library served area residents for over sixty years from a small former bank building.
From the Beginning
The State Bank & Trust Building contained only 600 square feet, but it was used by Liberty Township patrons until 1985, when the original building on South Iowa Street was constructed, following a donation of the land by Frank & Edna Barnes. That building was enlarged in 2001, and today it contains about 8,400 square feet with nearly 28,000 volumes.
The library currently serves a population of nearly 6000 residents of Liberty Township. An interior renovation of the library space was completed in 2022.
Clayton librarians include Edna Hamblin, Ersa Wills, Mary Ellen Lambert, Faye Elmore, Laura Harris, Maggie Fansler (interim), and Jonnie Wallis, Pam Frequay (interim), and Angie Roberts. The current library director is Kathryn Crum.