HISTORY OF THE LIBRARY
The Clayton-Liberty Township Public Library was founded in 1929 by the Delphian Society. The original library served area residents for over sixty years from a small former bank building.
The State Bank & Trust Building contained only 600 square feet, but it was used by Liberty Township patrons until 1985, when the original building on South Iowa Street was constructed. That building was enlarged in 2001, and today it contains about 8,400 square feet with nearly 30,000 volumes.
Clayton librarians include Edna Hamblin, Ersa Wills, Mary Ellen Lambert, Faye Elmore, Laura Harris, Maggie Fansler (interim). The present librarian is Jonnie Wallis.